The Children’s Organ Transplant Society (the “Society”) values your privacy and is committed to maintaining the confidentiality, security and privacy of personal information of all volunteers, donors, members and employees of the Society.
The collection, use, disclosure and retention of personal information are managed according to the British Columbia Personal Information Protection Act.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any information that can identify an individual, including an individual’s name, home address and phone number or identification numbers, and information about an identifiable individual, for example, physical description, educational qualifications and blood type.
Personal information includes employee personal information but does not include business contact information, for example, an individual’s position name or title or business telephone number, business address, business email or business fax number, or work product information.
For what purposes does the Society collect personal information?
- To process donations and to issue tax receipts for donations received in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency requirements.
- To process applications for services, including peer support and camps.
- To provide information about products, services, events or activities in which you have expressed an interest.
- To process applications for membership and volunteers.
- To compile profiles on directors and members of the Society’s committees.
- For any other purpose required to establish or maintain a service, volunteer, participant or donor relationship with you and for which consent is given.
What information does the Society collect?
We limit our collection of personal information to that which is necessary for the purposes outlined above. This includes:
- Contact and identification information (name, address, phone number, email)
- Donation information (date of gift, amount of gift)
- Financial information (credit card number and expiry date or chequing account transit numbers to process your donation)
- Other personal information collected for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
We also collect aggregate information regarding overall website traffic. When a visit is made to our website, our web server collects the domain name and standard information about the operating system and web browser being used. This information does not indentify an individual and is solely used for statistical purposes to help manage our website.
Maintaining Your Privacy
Prior to or at the time of collecting personal information, we will inform you of the purposes for which we are collecting the information and ask you for consent to collect, use, disclose or retain your personal information.
We do not collect, use, disclose or retain personal information for a new purpose that was not previously identified without explaining the new purpose and obtaining consent, unless otherwise permitted by law.
We store personal information in secured locations and on servers controlled by the Society or at the offices of our service providers. Physical, organizational and technological safeguards are in place to ensure that personal information is not disclosed for purposes other than those outlined above.
We only retain personal information for as long as is necessary for the purposes outlined above and make every reasonable effort to prevent any loss, misuse, disclosure or modification of personal information and any unauthorized access to personal information.
Links to other sites
The Society’s website contains links to other websites that are not under its control. The Society provides these links only as a convenience to our visitors. The Society is not responsible for the contents of any linked website, any link contained in a linked website or any changes or updates to such websites.
The Society is not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites and we encourage you to read the privacy statements of each website that requests your personal information.
Modifications of these Terms
The Society reserves the right to modify this privacy statement without notice and at our sole discretion. Such modifications are effective when posted.
Comments, Feedback, Questions and Queries
If you have any questions or concerns about this privacy statement or this website, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org